Wednesday, April 4, 2018

$4.00 Goodwill Chair Re-do

We have a little thumbback chair in our kitchen that was originally in the old farmhouse in Virginia where DH's father grew up. I've been looking for another one of similar size and style to pair with it. I found this one yesterday in a quick "walk through" of Goodwill. For $4.00, I grabbed it.


The chair was solid but the wood finish needed some work. 
The chair seat was woven with old men's ties. Remember when that was a popular DIY project?


When I have a new project in mind, I can't wait to get started. Within an hour of getting home with the groceries (and chair!), I had given the wood frame a good cleaning and used MinWax Wood-Sheen on it to restore the finish.


I cut a pattern out of brown paper so that I could sew a new seat cushion to cover all those ugly ties!


I had enough fabric and batting in my stash to make matching cushions for the "new" chair and the one we already had. Another hour and they were done.


Here is the finished chair.


I didn't even replace the men's ties; just placed the new cushion right over them.


By late afternoon, this project was done.


Just in time for a cup of tea glass of wine!



This post is linked to:
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style
The Farmhouse Friday Link Party #51 at The Painted Hinge
Salvaged Junk Projects #422 at Funky Junk Interiors

7 comments:

  1. Nice! They look great! And you certainly are the speedy one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I'm not so speedy when it's the housework or ironing calling me!

      Delete
  2. Love the chairs and the new seat cushions!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I never can make up my mind. Today I'm sewing a second set of seat cushions, out of flour sack this time. Can't decide which I'll like better! Crazy, huh?

      Delete
  3. What a great transformation, Cheryl!!
    Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb,
      It's good to hear from you after my too-long blogging break. I still love visiting your home! ~Cheryl

      Delete
  4. $4!!!! That's an amazing find! I like that you kept the men's ties under the cushion. Now its two chairs in one.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you'll leave a Comment . . . they make this blogger's day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...